Lorelei Sew Along Day 3
It’s Day 3 of the Lorelei sew along, and we are on the home stretch (both figuratively and literally)! Yay!
Goals for Day 3:
If you haven’t already, cut your elastic lengths and create loops.
- I like to overlap the ends by 1/2″ and place a pin to hold in place.
- Place elastic under the presser foot, lower presser foot, and slowly turn hand wheel until the needle is through the elastic and manually create a couple of stitches (careful not to hit the pin).
- Once the elastic is secure and won’t shift, remove the pin and sew back and forth a few times. Voila!
1. Attach elastic.
I know I was terrified of elastic when I first started sewing, but it really is easy to work with.
In general, I like to ‘quarter’ my elastic, so I know that it is evenly spaced…
Next, I quarter my fabric opening (Step 1 and 2 below), align the quarter points of the elastic with the quarter points of the fabric and clip (Step 3 below), then stretch the elastic (not the fabric) while attaching elastic to fabric (Step 4 below).
As always there are exceptions to every rule. 😉 For instance, at Step 17 the tutorial suggests that the elastic is attached with extra stretch at the bottom of the leg opening to eliminate any gaping – in this case, you wouldn’t necessarily want to quarter evenly. However, you can quarter for the arm, neckline, and side cut-out openings if it is helpful to you.
Attach elastic per tutorial instructions and topstitch … you are almost FINISHED!
2. Attach strap.
I do suggest a quick fit check before attaching the strap to find the perfect length for your child.
Also, consider adding a little embellishment to your strap to further customize your suit! I had a cute little adjuster buckle left over from another project, and I think it was a perfect statement piece for the suit. I slipped it on before attaching to the suit.
Attach strap according to tutorial instructions.
You finished your suit! Yay!
Be sure to add your FINAL pics for an opportunity to WIN great prizes!
Plus, we want to see your lovely me-mades!
- Final submission images (flat lays are fine) are due end of day Tuesday, March 20, 2018, in the Day 3 sew along Photo Album on Facebook.
- Want an extra opportunity to enter? Post to Instagram with a fun hashtag (#SLPcoLorlei, #LoreleiSAL, etc.), take a screenshot, then add to Day 3 album for one extra entry!
And that’s a wrap for the Lorelei Sew Along! Thanks for joining the FUN!
A few extra SAL details:
- There will be a daily post on the SLPCo FB Fan page with a link to the blog post which will have the goals for the day and any helpful tips, etc. We would love to see your progress images, so be sure to post YOUR progress pics in the daily photo ALBUM (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3)! Also feel free to leave a little love, ask any questions, or encourage someone who is sewing along!
- The SAL posts will be three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), but there will be two days for catch-up and final submission photo. 🙂
- Final submission images (flat lays are fine) are due end of day Tuesday, March 20, 2018, in the Day 3 sew along photo album. Want an extra opportunity to enter? Post to Instagram with a fun hashtag (#SLPcoLorlei, #LoreleiSAL, etc.), take a screenshot, then add to the Day 3 sew along photo album for one extra entry.
- Two winners will be randomly chosen. Prizes include Fabric bundle or $30 Fabric Fairy store credit and $50 SLPCo store credit.
- Have fun! We can’t wait to see all your cute suits!
THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE SEW ALONG!